FAQ-1489: Migrating to a New Workstation
What should I consider when migrating or upgrading PlanetPress Suite installation on a New Workstation?
The purpose of this document is to outline Migration considerations and provide the reader with a strategy for transferring the PlanetPress Suite software license and/or installing the software upgrade on a new workstation. The following is a list of things to consider.
File Extension definitions:
- .ppX = PlanetPress Design Document, where X is the number of the PlanetPress Suite version.
- .pwX = PlanetPress Workflow Tools Configuration (Watch/Server/Office/Production)
- .PTK = Presstalk file – result of the “Sendto” compiled document to Workflow
Transferring a PlanetPress Suite software license to a new workstation
If you wish to transfer your PlanetPress Suite software license(s) and/or install your PlanetPress Suite Upgrade on a new workstation:
For PlanetPress Workflow Tools Users:
- The working Directory paths since PlanetPress Version 6 have changed.
- Working Directory for V6 and V7: “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite X\”
- Working Directory for V5 and lower: “C:\Program Files\PlanetPress Suite X”
- Back up the entire working directory from your previous workstation.
- The PlanetPress Workflow Tools folder under the working directory contains the following files needed for the new workstation.
- PlanetPress Workflow Configuration (.cfg or .pwX)
- The Documents folder containing all the compiled documents (.ptk files)
- Back up any custom Plug-ins (.dll) that you used in your previous PlanetPress Workflow Tools configuration and copy them onto the new workstation in their respective folders.
- Plugins folder can be found under the following path.
- V6 and V7: “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite X\Plugins”
- After you’ve copied the plug-ins you must register them.
- For Instruction on how to register a Plug-in please see Plug-in Installation Instructions
- Install or Import the Documents (.ptk) for PlanetPress Workflow Tools
- There are a few ways to Install or Import your Documents into PlanetPress Workflow Tools
- From PlanetPress Workflow Tools go to File | Import Document and select the .ptk document you want to import. (usually found in the Documents folder from your previous installation)
- From PlanetPress Design Open your document you wish to install in PlanetPress Workflow Tools and go to File | Send to.
- If you have many Documents to Install, the recommended Procedure is to do a Batch Send To From PlanetPress Design
- Reconfigure any settings that may need to be applied to the PlanetPress Suite Messenger and PlanetPress Workflow Tools LPD services using the Access Manager.
- All PostScript and TrueType host based fonts must be reinstalled.
- Recreate printer queues with the same nomenclature as the printer queues that existed in the previous version or workstation.
- If necessary, reconfigure local ODBC connections. (i.e. create local copies of databases or recreate required DSN entries).
- Manually install all external executables that will be referenced by the PlanetPress Workflow Tools processes in the configuration file. If possible, respect the local path used on the other PC.
- On the new workstation if "TCP/IP Print Server" service is running in Windows, it is requested to disable that server so that it does not interfere with the PlanetPress LPD/LPR services.
PlanetPress Image, Fax and Search
- Reconfigure the PlanetPress Image and PlanetPress Fax outputs with the new host information.
- You must import the Search Profile and rebuild the database in order to generate the database structure required by PlanetPress Suite.
This document is just a guide with some recommendations when Upgrading PlanetPress Suite or transferring an existing license on another workstation. It is recommended to always make a backup of any document design, fonts, custom applications, Plug-ins and any activation codes.